Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Florence, the Force

I first heard about Florence and the Machine about a year ago while watching Florence Welch (lead singer) give an interview on a alternative music youtube channel. I thought she seemed a sweet and quirky person for she talked about her costumes for her music videos. I wasn't really captured by her voice at first, sadly, the song chosen to feature in the video was a quiet one that didn't really show her amazing vocal abilities.

Fast forward to yesterday. I was on mtv voting for the VMAs and I noticed her up against Lady Gaga a couple times. I decided to check out the music videos of hers that were nominated. To be perfectly honest I didn't like them that much but I fell in love with the songs and her voice. Actually, before I even watched either of the "Dog Days" videos I watched "The Drumming Song" first.

Then I played it about ten more times, totally hooked.

After playing it to my full I immediately looked for a live version of it to see how Florence fared singing live. I watched some of her performance from T4 on the Beach and I was pretty blown away. Not only did she sound just as good as the studio version of the songs, if not better, she was running and spinning around on a walkway in five inch heels at speeds that made me a little nervous. All that while singing in her usual epic and powerful voice. She didn't sound out of breath at all for a moment.

After watching the live performances I was pretty sure I had found myself a new favorite artist.


That feeling I had got magnified by about ninety when I watched the music video for Cosmic Love. I was completely and utterly swept up in the power and beauty of the song and I genuinely liked the music video. I must have watched it about thirty times.

I'm not voting for Florence for Video of the Year because, as I said, I don't really like her music videos and to be far I think Lady Gaga truly had "videos of the year" I voted for her in the Best Rock Video category though.



Here is the music video of her latest single Cosmic Love

No comments:

Post a Comment